Exploring Tom Kha Soup Calories – Tom Kha soup, with its creamy coconut broth and aromatic flavors, is a beloved Thai dish. However, for those mindful of their calorie intake, understanding the nutritional aspects of this delightful soup is essential. Let’s uncover the facts about Tom Kha soup calories in this culinary journey.
Tom Kha Soup Nutritional information
Tom Kha Soup is a popular Thai soup known for its rich, creamy, and aromatic flavors. Here’s a brief overview of its nutritional information per one-cup serving:
- Calories: Approximately 110-130 calories.
- Protein: Contains about 2-3 grams of protein.
- Fat: Provides around 5-7 grams of fat.
- Carbohydrates: Typically has 8-10 grams of carbohydrates.
- Fiber: Usually has 1-2 grams of dietary fiber.
- Sugars: Contains around 2-3 grams of sugars.
- Sodium: Can have a high sodium content, often exceeding 900 milligrams.
Please note that the exact nutritional content can vary based on the recipe and serving size, so it’s a good idea to check with the specific restaurant or packaged product for precise details. Additionally, Tom Kha Soup can be high in saturated fat and sodium due to ingredients like coconut milk and fish sauce.
Calories in a Bowl of Tom Kha Soup
|Nutrient||Amount per Serving|
|Dietary Fiber||1-2 grams|
|Sodium||900 milligrams or more|
Please note that these values can vary based on the recipe and serving size, so it’s advisable to check with the specific restaurant or packaged product for precise details. Additionally, Tom Kha Soup can be high in saturated fat and sodium due to ingredients like coconut milk and fish sauce.
Tom Kha Soup ingredients and Calories
Tom Kha Soup is a delicious Thai soup known for its rich and aromatic flavors. It’s made from a combination of ingredients that contribute to its unique taste. Here are the common ingredients and an approximate calorie count for Tom Kha Soup:
- Coconut Milk: Provides creaminess and flavor.
- Chicken or Shrimp: The main protein source.
- Galangal: A rhizome similar to ginger, which adds a citrusy and piney flavor.
- Lemongrass: Adds a fresh, citrusy aroma.
- Kaffir Lime Leaves: Provide a unique, zesty flavor.
- Mushrooms: Typically straw mushrooms are used.
- Fish Sauce: For a salty and savory taste.
- Lime Juice: Adds a touch of acidity.
- Chili Peppers: For some heat.
- Cilantro: Used for garnish.
Approximate Calories: A serving of Tom Kha Soup, which is typically about one cup or 240 ml, contains around 110-130 calories. The calorie content can vary based on factors like the choice of protein (chicken or shrimp) and the specific recipe used.
Please note that these values can vary depending on the exact ingredients and portion size used. It’s a relatively healthy choice for those looking to enjoy Thai cuisine with a flavorful twist.
Nutritional Value of Tom Kha Soup
|Total Fat||8-10 grams|
|– Saturated Fat||6-7 grams|
|Total Carbohydrates||5-7 grams|
|Dietary Fiber||1-2 grams|
|Vitamin C||10-15% DV|
Please note that these values are approximate and can vary depending on the specific recipe and ingredients used. The values mentioned here are based on a traditional preparation of Tom Kha Soup with chicken or shrimp. It’s generally a relatively low-calorie and flavorful option, especially if you’re looking for a light and healthy Thai soup.
Tom Kha Soup Health Benefits
- Immune System Support: Tom Kha Soup typically contains coconut milk, which is a good source of lauric acid. Lauric acid has antimicrobial properties and may help support the immune system.
- Anti-Inflammatory: Ingredients like lemongrass, galangal, and kaffir lime leaves are common in Tom Kha Soup and have anti-inflammatory properties. They can help reduce inflammation in the body.
- Rich in Antioxidants: Herbs and spices used in Tom Kha Soup, such as cilantro and chili peppers, are rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants help combat oxidative stress and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- Digestive Aid: The ginger and lemongrass in Tom Kha Soup can aid in digestion. They may help alleviate gastrointestinal discomfort and reduce bloating.
- Good Source of Protein: If prepared with chicken, shrimp, or tofu, Tom Kha Soup provides a good source of lean protein, which is essential for muscle health and overall body function.
- Hydration: The broth in Tom Kha Soup helps keep you hydrated, and proper hydration is vital for many bodily functions.
- Vitamins and Minerals: Ingredients like mushrooms and vegetables add essential vitamins and minerals, contributing to your daily nutrient intake.
- Weight Management: This soup is relatively low in calories and can be a satisfying, low-calorie option if you’re watching your weight.
- Cognitive Health: Some ingredients, like galangal and kaffir lime leaves, may have cognitive benefits and help improve focus and mental clarity.
Remember that the specific health benefits can vary depending on the ingredients and the recipe used to prepare the soup. Consuming a variety of nutrient-rich foods is generally beneficial for overall health.